FastDreamers Live!

Thursday 22 December 2016

Post Katie's Night in a Custody Cell


As the door closed and I lay on my plastic mattress for night there was just the continuous hum of the heating and my thoughts to keep me company.  Whilst, to start with, I enjoyed the quiet contemplation that the cell gave me I quickly realised that it is a lonely place.  Made worse when there is hustle and talking which isn’t quite clear enough to make out, but reminds you that you are isolated from the world.  

WOW these feeling must be terrifying for a young person who is going through a mental health crisis.  The fact of not being in a cell, but a hospital won't make those feelings disappear.  This issue is clearly not with custody cells, but ensuring no child is forced to travel hundreds of miles to the nearest appropriate bed.  As this means the support of their friends and family won’t be seen by them and these feeling of having to deal with everything alone will persist.

As I write, I am alone in my cell, it should be pointed out that the truth is far from this.  I had amazing custody staff whose sole purpose was to ensure my safety.  Given a clean, safe location they catered for my basic needs including two meals and that all important cup of tea. They checked on me to ensure my safety and if required would have done this more regularly.  Cells are not the place for anyone who is in a mental health crisis, but if they did have to be used in an emergency, it's safe to say that Durham Custody Suites (and I am sure the rest around the UK) would do their best to ensure the safety and mental welfare of the individual.

So what have I learnt from my Night in the Cells?

Custody staff are great, as I am sure is the NHS, however, they can not do it alone.  It is up to us as a community to help break down the stigma surrounding mental health.  We need to let everyone know that they are not alone and it is OK to talk about mental health and seek help from early intervention services.  

What can you do to help?

  • Break the stigma by talking about mental health.  
  • Tell parents about the services YoungMinds offer to support them if their child ever has or is going through a mental health crisis
  • If you can donate to YoungMinds and help them to continue their great work

Thanks to PCC Ron Hogg for his support and Durham Constabulary for allowing us to raise awareness for this important cause by ‘locking me up’ #NightintheCells, an experience I never want to repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment